Have you always dreamed of owning a second home? While owning a vacation home may see like a huge expense, it can also provide some savings. There are special tax rules and regulations that apply to second properties that could have you vacationing on the cheap.
Before you buy a second home you should consider how you will use it. The Internal Revenue Service will categorize the home for tax purposes on how it is used.
Here are the ways it can be categorized:
Residence: It will be considered a residence if you use it for personal housing at least part of the year. If your home is a residence you can deduct the mortgage interest under your vacation on line 10 of Schedule A.
Investment: If the property is rented most of the year, it’s considered a rental or investment property. In order to have a deduction on an investment property your rental deductions can’t exceed gross rental income, less interest, taxes, and costs to advertise the property. If your income totals more than the rental income received you won’t be able to list the loss (the excess expenses) on your income tax return.
Another benefit of a rental property is that you may be able to deduct the value of your rental property over time. This is called depreciation. Depreciation is the wear and tear on a property over time.
This can all be confusing so it is best to contact a tax advisor before purchasing a second home. There are some other key points to keep in mind:
If the property is purely an investment, all the expenses are deductible against the rent.
You don’t have to claim income if you rent the property for less than 14 days a year.
There are lots of other rules about timing and claiming a property as a residence or an investment. Always make sure to consult with your tax advisor.
A commuters DREAM!! Fantastic Location! Terrific Price! Great Space! Spacious Raised Ranch Style home offering Hardwood floors throughout main level with a large eat in kitchen, formal dining room, large living room with stone wall fireplace, three bedrooms and a full bath. The lower level offers a huge family room with a brick fireplace, a private office, laundry/utility room and 3/4 bath. Perfect for an In Law or Teen Suite set up. Large private yard, screened porch and an attached one car garage. Roof and heating system installed 2009. Gas Heat – Needs some updating but well worth the investment.
- Buying a Home
- Help Around the House
- Home Design
- Home Improvements
- Home Security
- Market Trends
- Money Saving Tips
- Moving Tips
- Pets and Your Home
- Real estate
- Real Estate For Sale
- Real Estate Marketing
- Selling Your Home
- Special Real Estate Situations
- To Your Health
- Police Log: Salem Man Charged With Drunk Driving April 20, 2014Friday, April 18 At 3:16 p.m., police arrested Selvyn Lopez, 37, 380 Essex St., Apt. […]
- Police Log: Two Alleged Repeat Drunk Drivers Arrested April 20, 2014Wednesday, April 16 At 5:38 p.m., police received a call about malicious destruction of a motor vehicle on Merrill Street. […]
- City Planting Dozens of New Trees April 19, 2014Peabody's Department of Parks, Recreation and Forestry is planting dozens of new trees on streets and parks. […]
- Police Log: Salem Man Charged With Drunk Driving April 20, 2014
- Jerry Robito to Challenge Frank Cousins for Sheriff in 2016 April 18, 2014The position of Sheriff should not be held by a career politician. Instead, it should be held by a law enforcement professional who has worked in corrections. […]
- Poll Shows Tierney-Tisei in Dead Heat April 15, 2014Congressman John Tierney and Republican challenger Richard Tisei are deadlocked, according to a new Emerson College Polling Society survey . […]
- Police Log: Peabody Cops Make Four Arrests April 14, 2014Sunday, April 13 At 5 p.m., Macy's reported two shoplifters. The store handled the matter. […]
- Jerry Robito to Challenge Frank Cousins for Sheriff in 2016 April 18, 2014
- Medford Realtor Receives Award April 20, 2014Sory DeOliveira, an experienced REALTORA with RE/MAX Andrew Realty Services of Medford and Stoneham, was the honored recipient of the Eastern Middlesex Association of REALTORSA ' distinguished Dorothy M. Shea Award. […]
- North Reading's Andrew Tighe Sings at the Boston Marathon Tribute April 16, 2014North Reading's Andrew Tighe performed with the Boston Pops at the Boston Marathon Tribute on Tuesday. […]
- What is The Story Behind This Banner? April 15, 2014Have you driven through North Reading Center recently and wondered about the banner on the Batchelder School fence that reads "Wondera€¦? Be a little kinder than is necessary." […]
- Medford Realtor Receives Award April 20, 2014
- Generate4Schools, Partners with Otto Pizza; Putting Real Money Back... April 19, 2014Generate4Schools , a Massachusetts-based School Fundraising Company, is proud to announce Otto Pizza is now using their Automatic Fundraiser to generate much-needed funds for the River Valley Charter School in Newburyport, MA. […]
- Kings Dedham introduces new menu items April 18, 2014What's in store for your weekend? If you don't have any plans yet, head over to Kings in Dedham for some wings, gluten-free pizza and a string of bowling . […]
- Hood introduces new garden-inspired cottage cheese flavors April 17, 2014Lynnfield, Mass.-based Hood launched two new flavor additions to the Hood Cottage Cheese family - cucumber and dill and garden vegetables. […]
- Generate4Schools, Partners with Otto Pizza; Putting Real Money Back... April 19, 2014